Tuesday 1 June 2010

Mr Nice - Rhys Ifans was born for the role of Howard Marks.

I have just spent the last 30 minutes scouring the internet to watch as many different trailers for Mr Nice as I possibly can. And then watched them several times again. Then posted the links to facebook.

Howard Marks' book 'Mr Nice' is one of the best books I have ever had the pleasure of reading and I couldn't put it down. It's the only book, apart from the writing of Hunter S. Thompson, that has had me smile from ear to ear as I turned every page imagining the scenes in my head. Marks' life has been a drug fuelled roller-coaster that is stranger and more interesting than any piece of fiction. From growing up in a small village in Wales to attending Oxford University and then going on to become the biggest marijuana smuggler on the planet. It's been a succession of highs, getting high, clever twists and hilarious stories as well as the odd stint in jail. You really couldn't make it up. Marks, his life and the book are nothing short of phenomenal.

I read the book the summer before I was due to begin my film degree at the IFSW and no sooner than I had read the final word in the book and put it down I knew it would make a great film. And I wanted to make it. I sat in my call centre job staring out the window imaging the opening sequence. Scribbling notes on the opening voice over. Piecing together what parts of his life to use and what not to. Where to start! Sadly my career hasn't reached the point of making such fantastic book into multi million pound films. Hopefully it will one day. For today, I'm just glad that someone has made it. I shall be there the day it opens. Sat with my eyes fixed on the screen. A smile adorning my face.

If the film emits the same emotions as the book it's going to be a belter. I hope and pray the filmmakers have done it justice. As for Rhys Ifans as Marks - it was the role he was born to perform. As soon as I read the book I knew the role was Ifans'. He oozes a cool confidence, looks sexily shabby and has a wild glint in his troublesome eyes. As does Marks. From the trailers Ifans looks the image of Marks and I would be very suprised if he hadn't already read the book before the offer of the role. Ifans is type of guy who would have read the book from cover to cover a long time ago I'd imagine.

Mr Nice should be Blow comes to Wales. Ifans should give an impeccable performance. The film should be a beauty. Unfortunately, I have to wait until oct 8th to see it. I shall be counting down the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment